Monday, February 25, 2013

A Call to Serve

Sometimes I get it. I get why Jonah said no. Why he ran in the opposite direction of where God had called him to go. It's certainly easier. Until that big fish came along. Then 'yes' may have looked a whole lot better than 'no'.

Over the past two months, I have been challenged in regards to my service to Jesus. Since becoming a mom, my involvement in the youth ministry and related activities at church has drastically plummeted. Everything seems to start at 7 pm, which is highly inconvenient when that's the time you start the bath water and begin winding your little man down for the night. So I really struggled with what I could do, how I could have some sort of outreach.

And then, at one of my MOPS (Mothers of PreSchoolers) meetings, there was announcement about a training for those involved in leadership or who wanted to become involved in leadership. I told the Lord that if that was something He wanted me to do, He was going to have to send someone to ask me to be involved.

Guess what? Yep. I was approached. I was asked to consider serving.

My excuses to say no were abundant. But so too were God's exhortations in Scripture to say yes:
God, this service isn't one of my strengths."And He has said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.' . . . When I am weak, then I am strong."(2 Corinthians 12:9-10) 
God, I get asked if I'm still in high school. I look young and feel too young and inadequate for this. "Let no one look down on your youthfulness . . . show yourself an example to those who believe." (1 Timothy 4:12) 
God, I like my comfortable schedule, routine and way of life. This will probably throw a wrench in that.Can't I just say no? "If I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me." (Philippians 1:22) 
God, are you really sure you want to use me"Christ Jesus our Lord . . . has strengthed me . . . He considered me faithful, putting my into service, even though I was formerly a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent aggressor." (1 Timothy 1:12-13)
For some reason we think we have to have it all together before we serve. That we can serve only in the areas where we feel gifted. That we aren't good enough. That someone else could do it better. We forget that the Lord will equip us when He calls us. He will be our strength when we are weak. He is good and because of His goodness, He uses flawed people like us.

And really, it's not about us anyways is it? It's all about Him.
"'Let your light shine before men in such a way that they see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.'" - Matthew 5:16 (emphasis mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment