Saturday, February 23, 2013

My Incredible Flesh-Starving Discovery!

"And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit." Galatians 5:24, 25 

There is a besetting sin in my life, a monster who keeps rearing it's hideous head. I despise it.

I have:
  • earnestly prayed for it's magical disappearance.
  • created strict rules to prevent falling victim to it's gruesome claws.
  • committed to God and myself, countless times, "from now on..."
  • confessed it to spiritual mentors and asked for accountability.
And still, the sin-monster remains. Not only remains, but defeats me. Why? My spirit is willing (oh so willing!), but my flesh is weak (oh so weak!). 
For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, 
and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, 
for these are opposed to each other,
to keep you from doing the things you want to do. 
Gal. 5:17 

As I was praying one recent morning, the Lord seemed to speak nearly audibly to me--
you must starve your flesh 
& feed your spirit! 

Immediately I was overcome with joy and hope--I knew this was the answer!

1. Starve to Death!
Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion,
evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. Col. 3:5

If I am to put to death that hideous Gollum inside me, I must be aware of his supply lines so I can starve him. I cannot feed what would strengthen. What comes into my heart (mulit-media, conversations, relationships?) What pours forth from my heart (thoughts, imaginations, actions)?


How/what are you feeding your Gollum?


2. Feed to Strengthen!

 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. Gal.5:16

"While the flesh sets its desires on self-pleasure through self-sovereignty, walking in the Spirit seeks divine-pleasure through divine-sovereignty."* In feeding our spirit we grant Christ increasing power over our lives. What is spirit-food? Media (sermons, podcasts, hymns, God-honoring movies), mature Christian friends, prayer, church, Bible studies, personal devotions, Scripture memory, and uplifting conversations. 

What are your eyes feasting on, nose smelling, and mouth ordering that will serve to increase your appetite for Christ?
In so living (flesh-starving/spirit-feeding)--my monster has been weakened and the Spirit has gained the upper-hand in this-particular-sin-battle and now reigns victorious! 

"And you were...following the prince of the power of the air [monster]...among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. But God [Spirit], being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us...made us alive together with Christ...For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." Eph. 2:1-8

*Eric Raymond, Starving and Suffocating Your Inner Gollum, Nov. 12, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment