Wednesday, October 17, 2012

ON vs. FOR


I'm continuing to hear the word 'wait' from God in many areas of my life. As I've been listening to God, pondering this, and just plain waiting, something has become evident to me. There is a difference between waiting on God, and waiting for God.

When we wait for God, our focus isn't usually on God. It is usually on the thing we're waiting for Him to do, provide, accomplish, etc. When this is the case, we are guilty of idolatry. It can also lead us to become lazy, just sitting around waiting for God to work. Instead of living out in faith what we have previously been called to do. I find this is easy for me to fall into.

However, when we wait on God, our focus is on Him. This of course, is where it should be. Where we should be. At the feet of Jesus. Learning from Him. Growing in Him. Doing all which we can to enable the Holy Spirit's work in us to glorify God our Father, and Jesus Christ.

I've been challenged this week to follow the Holy Spirit's pointing toward Jesus. To wait on God. The ability to wait on God comes from the transforming work of Jesus in our hearts, focusing us on Himself, instead of idols. 

May God be glorified in each of our lives.

Are you waiting for, or waiting on God?

No comments:

Post a Comment