Monday, October 15, 2012

An Ordinary Autobiography

Last night, after we put our little tyke down for the night, Jordan and I spent time together using questions from the game "Loaded Questions" as a discussion starter. Some of the cards included some pretty odd questions that made us chuckle - "What is the strangest thing you can do with your body?" - while others left our minds blank - "If you could dis-invent any one thing, what would it be?". Another one of those questions that produced no answer from me was, "What would you title your autobiography?" Nothing creative came to mind then; and even this morning on our walk as Jordan posed the question again, I couldn't come up with anything. I've never done anything great like inventing human flight, served as our nations president, or overcome astonishing life difficulties. I'm just me; I'm just ordinary.

Do you ever feel that way? Just plan . . . ordinary? In the grand scheme of things, we're no one important. Those outside of family circle or sphere of friends will probably never hear of us. Most of you who are reading this probably won't become president of the United States or even governor of your own home state. Most of us probably won't become professional athletes or win American Idol. Most of us are just ordinary students, employees, and  family members. 

But ya know, just because we're ordinary, we're not any less important. Think of those whom the Lord called into His service. Shepherds. Fishermen. Tax collectors. Every-day, ordinary people. And yet He used those ordinary people do to extraordinary things.

We - just ordinary people - have been entrusted with the extraordinary message of God's salvation. We - just ordinary people - have been equipped with gifts to bring the extraordinary message of God's love to the hurting. We - just ordinary people - will one day be held accountable to God for our faithfulness as stewards of His extraordinary grace.
"Let a man regard us in this manner, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. In this case, moreover, it is required of stewards that one be found trustworthy." - 1 Corinthians 4:1-2
I may not become president someday. (Actually, I hope that I don't become president someday!) I may not do anything that is noteworthy in the eyes of the world. I may never be more than "just" a wife, mom, and follower of Jesus Christ. But that's okay. My only prayer is that I will be faithful. And who knows - maybe the Lord will use this ordinary girl for some extra-ordinary things.

(For more on being faithful in the ordinary, check out Jesus' parable in Matthew 25:14-30.)

No comments:

Post a Comment