Thursday, October 18, 2012

A Lesson From John


There's an old man that lives in the apartment underneath us whose name is John. He sits outside in the sun and smiles. He always greets me by a different name. He's one of my favorite people ever.

Today, John told me something that sparked a thought in my mind: “I always seem to forget who I am.”

John is rather old, the most content man alive, but doesn't have the memory that he once had. What struck me though is that John and I have something in common here -- we may be decades apart in age, different genders, and he probably doesn't like washing dishes as much as I do -- but we both forget who we are on a regular basis.

No, I'm not speaking about my personal identity here. My name is Katelyn, I live in Fargo, I work at I candy store...I'm okay when it comes to that identity. But what about my identity in Christ? 

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come." -- 2 Corinthians 5:17

As followers of Jesus Christ, you have a new identity. The Bible says that you are a friend of God (John 15:15) a child of God (John 1:12) and the bride of Christ (Revelation 21:2).

But what about your stance before God? 
In Christ, you are forgiven. 
"For our sake He made Him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God." -- 2 Corinthians 5:21
"And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This He set aside, nailing it to the cross." -- Colossians 2:13-14
In Christ, you are loved.



"If I'm Your beloved, would you help me believe it?" --
My prayer for each one of us today.
Don't forget who you truly are!

No comments:

Post a Comment