Monday, September 17, 2012

Work in Secret

Although he's only 18 weeks old, Ezekiel loves books. It might have something to do with hearing Mommy and Daddy's voice. It probably has something to do with the bright colors. And it definitely has something to do with being able to put certain books into his mouth. The other night, I was reading an older story to Zeke entitled "Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel." Mike Mulligan and his steam shovel, Mary Anne, are an inseparable duo who worked digging canals, cutting through mountains to allow trains to travel through, smoothed out ground for runways, and dug basements for skyscrapers. Often times throughout the book, it is written that Mike Mulligan and Mary Anne always worked better with an audience; they "dug a little faster and a little better".

I enjoyed reading this cute story to Zeke -- but I was also challenged as I realized how similar to Mike Mulligan and Mary Anne I am. I don't know about you, but when I have an audience - when I know I am being watched - I tend to work a little better. Maybe not faster since I'm afraid to mess up, but definitely better. I want to impress, I want to be praised, I want the approval of man.

Maybe it's raising a hand during praise and worship simply for looks, not because of true worship occurring in my heart. Maybe it's sounding full of joy when my heart is sorrowful simply because I don't want others to think that I experience hurt. Maybe it's wanting to speak well in front of a group to earn their respect rather than wanting to bring praise to the Father.

But isn't that all wrong? Jesus said:
"'Beware of practing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven. So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret will reward you.  
When you pray, you are not to be like hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you . . .  
Whenever you fast, do not put on a gloomy face as the hypocrites do, for they neglect their appearance so that they will be noticed by men when they are fasting. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face so that your fasting will not be noticed by men, but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who see what is done in secret will reward you.'" - Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18
We might not sound trumpets - but does our heart fill with pride when we give to those less fortunate than ourselves? We might not pray on the street corners - but do we have more elaborate prayers when we pray aloud in a group than when we pray in the quietness of our hearts? We might not appear like we're fasting from food, drink, or media - but do we brag about it by "sharing" our struggle with others?

Unfortunately, we seldom work in secret, don't we? Maybe it's because the praise of men is immediate - the praise of our Father will have to wait until He calls us home and gives us our crown of righteousness. But I've got a feeling it'll be well worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment