Monday, September 10, 2012

The Pain of Change

I don't know about you, but I don't like change. I didn't like the change that took place when my older brother graduated from high school and moved four hours away. I didn't like the change of graduating from AFLBS and moving to Fargo to attend MSUM. And although I absolutely love my husband, I didn't like the change of moving to a small town in western North Dakota - farther from my family and close friends. It's been a little over three years since that last major change occurred - and to be honest, it's barely been a year and a half since I've adjusted to that change. Sometimes, the only easy thing to change is our socks. 

As you may or may not know, Adventures in Odyssey keeps me company on a daily basis. This past week, an episode aired dealing with change. If you've got a spare 25 minutes or need something to keep you entertained as you cook supper, wash dishes, avoid homework, or simply fill the silence, I encourage you to listen to the episode entitled "Back to Abnormal". You can find it here: http://www.whitsend.org/OnTheRadio.aspx

For full details, you'll just have to listen to the show. For the purpose of this blog, I'll simply tell you that in this episode, Eugene faces change -- and he's not too fond of it either. As he pours out his frustrations and despair to Mr. Whitaker, Whit offers this exhortation:
"Sometimes, change is God's way of taking us on a different path; one we may not choose ourselves."
As the story progresses and Eugene finds he isn't needed in any of his former jobs or activities, he discovers a new way to serve. A way that, if he wouldn't have had to experience the pain of change, he probably never would have discovered on his own.

Maybe you find yourself in a similar situation as Eugene's; a situation in which you are facing change. Maybe it's a major change, like moving to a different city, state, or country. Maybe it's moving from one job to a different one. Maybe it's simply moving from the familiar to the unfamiliar. Whatever the case may be, remember that in the change, you aren't alone. And we serve a Savior who will stay the same, no matter how quickly change swirls around us.
"'Even to your old age, I will be the same, and even to your graying years I will bear you!'" - Isaiah 46:4 
"For He Himself has said, 'I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you' . . . Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever." - Hebrews 13:5, 8
Remember too those wise words from Whit. You can never know what the LORD's got in store - but you better believe it'll be greater than you could have ever hoped for or imagined!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I really needed that... It has been hard moving 13 hrs away from all my family to a small town in ND : ) (sound firmiliar?) I have had some really tough nights and found to love skype. But what you said brought me to tears in realization that yes sometimes God changes might be hard but it's the path He chose and He will never desert me.... Thanks Sarah, Praise God!

    Emily Holman Nash...

    ReplyDelete