Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Do You...?


Do you ever forget what you look like?

Honestly, sometimes I do forget what I look like. Especially in specific circumstances, as in; how I appear when I wake up in the morning, or have just finished a hard run.

In the same way, I often forget to act upon what I've heard and been convicted by. 

"But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like." - James 1:22-24

It's not as if I've forgotten the big picture of who God is, or what He's done for me. But I do forget how incredible the good news of Jesus really is. How amazing it is to be free from the law which condemns me to death. The Gospel.

And I forget to act as a result. I leave it in my head as knowledge. I don't let it turn into actions. A specific circumstance where this most frequently happens for me, is through the small group studies which I've been a part of. On Tuesday nights I get convicted, challenged, and encouraged. And then by Wednesday night, I've completely left behind all I was challenged by. Maybe you can relate to this?

I've had to ask myself, have I really been transformed? Because if I have been, my actions will reflect it. Do I really believe? It's been incredible for me in these last two months to be, through the work of the Holy Spirit, much more focused on what I'm hearing, and how I'm being convicted, challenged, and encouraged. It isn't easy. But it is transformational! 

How about you? 
Do you ever forget what you look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment