Saturday, September 8, 2012

How to Mash Conflict in Your Life

A greedy man stirs up strife, but the one who trusts in the Lord will be enriched. Proverbs 28:25

Noticing the mayonnaise, mustard, and pickles on the counter, he inquired with obvious disappointment, "you're not really making potato salad are you? I would really prefer mashed potatoes." Like a Texas scorpion encountering a predator, my defenses went up in an instant. Such a simple request, but one apposing my own dinner plans.

My response was anything but selfless and mature. It didn't matter that I held my tongue, my attitude betrayed my heart. You know exactly what I'm talking about, don't you? Oh sure, I yielded and mashed every one of those hot potato cubes (potatoes may never have received so great a mashing!)--but inside I was steaming more than the pot before me.

As the Holy Spirit began His gentle work, my heart fell under conviction. I had wanted my way.

The Lord is revealing areas of my life where I am tightly holding personal "rights"--how I use my time, privacy, spending money... the right to talk, be kept informed, be heard, be served, be respected, etc. My being asked to change menu plans was only a surface problem. The root cause of the conflict was I was clinging to personal rights: to satisfy selfish desires (I'll cook what I want) and to not be questioned (I'm doing the cooking here!).

Identifying rights is only the first step in resolution. The next step is crucial--transferring the right to God. This is yielding to Him the authority to manage that area of my life (time, money, schedule, etc). He can (and will!) care for these so much better than I am able. The final step is to trust and thank God, regardless of what happens. This brings such freedom--I am no longer responsible for the outcome of these rights because God owns them!

The moment you find yourself in conflict, ask the Holy Spirit to reveal "rights"you're clinging to. As He does, lay them on the altar as your Isaac--"Dear Lord, I surrender to you my right to________. Thank you for however you will take care of this." Identify, surrender, trust & thank.

Lord, help us as we seek to trust you rather than clinging to our personal greed. "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise." Psalm 51:17

No comments:

Post a Comment