Thursday, June 23, 2011

Light Up the Sky

When the road less traveled is before me and my old Subaru is functioning properly, I am in my happy place. Most of my driving time is spent alone, which is actually something that I enjoy - especially when the music blasting through my speakers correlates in perfect sync with the pictures on the other side of my windshield.

Just the other day, my internal compass had me heading slightly North and a little West across the roads of Minnesota and my happy place was somewhere on I-94.
___________________________________________________

My foot pressed the pedal to the metal.
My finger turned up the volume on my car stereo a little too loud.
My eyes were focused forward.
My ears tuned into the sounds around me.
My nose noticed that I had not showered that day.
My mouth let out a little laugh.
My heart skipped a beat.
My most of me realized that everything at that moment was orchestrated by God.
___________________________________________________

Thomas Kinkade couldn't have painted a better sunset on the Western horizon. None of Hollywood's special effects could create a storm compared to the thunder and lightning up North. Even the hug of a long lost friend couldn't compare to the feeling of significance that God gave me inside the confines of my little station wagon.

All of this would have been impossible without the song "Light Up the Sky" by The Afters playing on the radio. (click the blue letters to listen to the song and see the music video) The artist's vision for the video is a bit different than the experience God gave me.

Regardless, I hope you notice when God is letting you know that He is right there with you.
___________________________________________________

Look up at the sky.
Listen for crickets.
Smell apple fritters.
Taste fresh coffee.
Feel the grass between your toes.
___________________________________________________

Remember that Christ died for you, rose from the dead, and wants you to live life with Him.

2 comments:

  1. First of all, Tim, the dude that is about to jump in the video has this uncanny resemblance to what you could look like in twenty years. Secondly, I love those moments too. My latest one came in the form of biking to Target and then around the lake on my way home. It was funny, windy, challenging, and a gift. Just what I needed. Great post, Tim, thanks.

    ReplyDelete