Monday, February 7, 2011

Always Ready

This past year has been a bit disheartening for me in regards to youth group and high school girls Bible study attendance and participation. After scattered attendees randomly on Monday nights during the fall semester, I sent out a facebook message asking my girls if they even wanted to continue with Bible study. From each and every one I got an eager response - but still, no one showed up.

In all honesty, I didn't know what to do. I felt maybe a little bit like Jeremiah did when he was sent to a people that wouldn't listen to him - "'You shall speak all these words to them, but they will not listen to you; and you shall call to them, but they will not answer you.'" (Jeremiah 7:27) Did I continue to prepare a lesson and have no one come? Or did I devote my Monday evenings to something else, like visits to the nursing home or a women's Bible study? I spent time in prayer, my heart didn't really feel "in it", and I honestly wanted to give up. So, in a way, I did. No more text message or facebook reminders about Bible study. No one darkened our door on Monday evenings --

that is, until tonight.

Two girls showed up for Bible study tonight. Two girls that I have enjoyed playing Dutch Blitz with in excess the past couple of days. Two girls that came with no text message or facebook reminders.

My response should have been one of immediate joy! Praise the Lord they came, right?! Yes - that should have been my reaction. But, in reality, my thought was, "Ah! I didn't think anyone would come, so I didn't prepare anything at all!" But, thankfully the Lord works and uses us in spite of our shortcomings and un-preparedness. Our conversation brought us to the subject of those who are disadvantaged, poor, homeless, and needy. The people group that the Lord has laid upon my heart so heavily this past year. Is God good or what?

I was reminded of something Pastor Rolf always told us during Bible School, something to the tune of: "Your testimony should change every day because the Lord should always be teaching you new things . . ." Peter encouraged his readers, to "sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you . . ." (1 Peter 3:15) Though we might not have a typed, three page presentation or lecture ready in our pocket, we must be ready to share with others all that the Lord has accomplished in us and taught us because we cannot afford to waste opportunities that He gives to us. As Paul wrote to the Colossians, "Conduct yourselves with wisdom toward outsiders, making the most of the opportunities. Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person." (Colossians 4:6)

Are you ready? Are you ready to share all that the Lord has done in your heart and in your life? I encourage you to be - because you never know who is going to show up on your doorstep, ready and eager to hear the word of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment