Thursday, February 3, 2011

"Required" reading

As a student studying in a Christian institution of higher education, sometimes I am "required" to read the Bible. I put the word required in quotation marks because I firmly believe that it is not the school, my professor, or even myself who has the agenda which calls for me to read a specific text at a particular time. Yes, the Sunday School answer applies in this situation.

God exists outside of the confines of time and he has an infinite amount of knowledge about infinity. Bringing these two aspects of God together, the Creator of the universe exists as the most knowledgeable and timeless author ever, ever, ever, ever ... ever. He has been writing, is currently writing, and will always be writing the most exciting, adventurous, painful, sorrowful, laughter filled, joyful, loving stories we refer to as our lives.

Today the sun is shining, wind is whipping, and the cold is cold. On days like today, I stare out the window observing the texture of the snow. In Minnesota, the angles and elevations don't equate to exciting skiing, but the glimpses I get of snow spark something inside my memory. Part of the story that God has been writing was foreshadowing the events that would take place in the library today.

As I was doing some "required" reading, my eyes scanned the pages of the book of Job like a barcode scanner at the grocery store. Sometimes you grab food from the shelf expecting to pay full price, but at the checkout, there's a beep and a bag and looking at the receipt you notice your savings of twelve cents! This puts a smile on my face. Before I read the book of Job, I had some preconceived notions. I was expecting doom and gloom, depression, lamenting, and a focus on Job's sorrow. As the beep took place and this reading was in the bag, a smile came across my face. The focus of this book is on who God is and how he relates to his people!

In Job 37:5-6 it says "God thunders wondrously with his voice; he does great things that we cannot comprehend. For to the snow he says, "Fall on the earth..." Reading this again for the fourth time puts the icing on the cake. Oh how is wish I knew this verse three years ago when I was a ski bum in Canada. Hold the phone. God, existing eternally in his infinite omniscience, knew that I would read this verse today. He knew this three years ago, amidst weeks of high pressure, rock-hard landings, and dull edges. My prayers were answered then and are being answered now.

Now I see what I did not once see.
My purpose in life was not to ski.
But to know God more fully.
In his Word I see his face.
Every day I receive his grace.
I am ready to run this race.

No comments:

Post a Comment