Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Awestruck

We were tired and exhausted, we portaged several times in search of a open camp site in the Boundary Waters and after several hours we still hadn’t found one. It grew cold and dark on us. In that darkness, suddenly, I looked up and was awestruck. In that moment I felt pure amazement. For the first time in my life I saw the Northern Lights
It didn’t matter that I was tired and cold, that I’d lost count of the number of portages that consisted of carry heavy bags and canoes, or that it was dark and we still hadn’t found a campsite. 
To look up into that night sky and behold the Northern Lights was awesome. Deserving of awe. It was unexpected and unlike anything I had seen before or since.  
Think of a moment when you’ve felt awe. Reflect on that feeling.
The pure awe I had when looking at the Northern Lights doesn’t even come close to the kind of awe I should have for God.
Hebrews 12: 28-29 says, "Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our “God is a consuming fire."
All too often I forget to be amazed by God. I forget His splendor. I forget His majesty. I forget His power. I forget His beauty. And He is amazing. He is splendid. He is majestic. He is powerful. He is so beautiful.

I want to be struck with awe at an Awesome God.
So awestruck that all I can be is in awe.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! I cannot WAIT to be in His presence in heaven, and sometimes I think of being more in awe then than now. But every single day the Lord is worthy and deserving of my awe and praise!

    Thanks for the reminder, Naomi! ;)

    ReplyDelete