Sunday, January 23, 2011

Look to Him.

I don't know about you, but I love hymns. The tunes are rather catchy and get stuck in my head quite often, but it's the Scripture based text that truly gets to me. I try to have a "hymn of the day" every morning to start off with, so I thought I'd share mine with you today.

"Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus"-- #526 in the Ambassador Hymnal.
"There's light for a look at the Savior, and life more abundant and free!"
My pastor used a sermon illustration last week that really touched me. The gist of it was that a man would put some sort of food in front of his dog and wouldn't allow the dog to eat it until he gave the okay. In order to refrain from this temptation, the dog kept his eyes on his master the entire time.

Do we do that? Do I do that? When I'm faced with temptation, the only source of strength I will find to fight against it is in the eyes of my Master. But how easy is it to look at the food placed in front of us? Why wouldn't we want to look at it--it's desirable and we want it.

Friends, I encourage you to look into the eyes of our Lord and Master today. We're faced with decisions all of the time and you won't find comfort anywhere other than God.
"Looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God" --Hebrews 12:2

2 comments:

  1. Hymns are great! A friend pointed out one I had never heard/read before yesterday - Macedonia. You would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this, Kate! I do love hymns as well; they capture such incredible spiritual truths in a beautiful manner.
    This post reminds me of a song we sang on summer teams, "Turn your eyes to Jesus, He'll see you through . . . turn your eyes to Jesus, He cares for you!" I'm sure Heidi would sing it for you if you don't know it.
    May Jesus continue to bless and encourage you!

    ReplyDelete