Monday, January 24, 2011

Practically Speaking

Over the past six months, the Lord has really been revealing to me the practicality of living as a believer. Not our church attendance or our participation in Bible studies. Not even our enrollment at AFLBS or other Christian colleges. Not just being involved in children's ministries or youth group events.

Practically living out the Gospel by giving food to those who are hungry. By giving water to those who are thirsty and clothes to those who have none. By giving love to those who have never felt loved before. By listening to those whom others turn from. This are the things which Jesus required . . . they are things which the Lord Himself did.

"'Is this not the fast which I choose, to loosen the bonds of wickedness, to undo the bonds of the yoke, and to let the oppressed go free and break every yoke? Is it not to divide your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into the house; when you see the naked, to cover him; and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?" (Isaiah 58:6-7)

I pray that I will never be so involved in church activities, expecting the people to come into us that I miss those outside the church walls, those who are crying out for Jesus. "'It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick; I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners.'" (Mark 2:17)

The problem is I don't exactly know how I should be carrying this out . . . I feel the Lord's call for the homeless, afflicted, and poor. I guess this is the part where I wait on Him who has greater thoughts and plans than I could ever imagine (Isaiah 55:8-9).

1 comment:

  1. I think about this often too Sarah, how to practically live out the Gospel!

    Matthew 25:34-40 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

    “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

    “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

    Living out our faith comes daily and at all moments of the day. You are so right, that it goes far beyond our involvement in the church. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete