Monday, November 29, 2010

The Poor and Needy

As I read through the book of Proverbs over the last month or so, I was struck by the constant admonition to look after the poor. I hadn't ever really caught that before . . . but after this read-through, that's what has stayed with me for so long. Here's a sampling of what Proverbs says to us:

"He who oppresses the poor taunts his Maker, but he who is gracious to the needy honors Him." - Proverbs 14:31

"He who mocks the poor taunts his Maker . . . " - Proverbs 17:5

"One who is gracious to a poor man lends to the LORD . . . " - Proverbs 19:17

"He who shuts his ear to the cry of the poor will also cry himself and not be answered." - Proverbs 21:13

"He who gives to the poor will never want, but he who shuts his eyes will have many curses." - Proverbs 28:27

"Open your mouth for the mute, for the rights of all the unfortunate. Open your mouth, judge righteously, and defend the rights of the afflicted and needy." - Proverbs 31:8-9

How is it for us to turn away from those we see on street corners, asking for food? How easy is it for us to be afraid of those who wear raggedy clothes and walk on the other side? How easy is it for us to ignore the needs of those so close to us, while thinking all the poverty is across the ocean? O Jesus, forgive me, forgive us, for the failure to take care of Your children!

After reading Proverbs, I have felt such a heavy burden to do something - to do something more - for those who are poor and needy. Even now, as I read those verses, I feel a pressing urgency on my heart. At this point, I'm not even sure how the Lord will choose to us me. But I pray that when opportunities come, I will seize them, and not "[pass] by on the other side" (Luke 10:31 & 32).

I know I have posted these videos of Jon Foreman songs before, but they are so relevant to this topic of caring for the poor. Please, take some time to listen to them, to read through the book of Proverbs, and to pray about how the Lord would use you to take care of the poor and needy around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment