Sunday, November 28, 2010

Count Your Blessings

"I'm thankful for toilets."

I led a small Bible study at my public high school and the week of Thanksgiving asked the question "What are you thankful for?" To my surprise, that was one of the guys answer. This was followed by all the usual things people say-- God, family, friends, food, shelter, etc. After the laughter died down I asked the guy what he meant by that to see if he was just goofing around and he responded, "Well, aren't you thankful we have toilets?"

This simple question struck me-- how much do we take for granted? While I'm sure we all don't live perfect, carefree lives, we do live in America where we're showered with luxuries people in other countries can't even imagine. We have clean running water, warm showers, vehicles, Caribous, toasters, refrigerators...the list could go on a whole lot longer than I'm sure you'd want to read.

1 Timothy speaks of this in chapter 6, "Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content". We have everything-- we are rich. It may not seem like it to many of us because we compare ourselves with the "rich" of America, but even the broke college student is rich compared to the majority of the rest of the world.

So what are you thankful for? I'm thankful for God, family, friends, food shelter...

And toilets. :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this, Kate! There are so many blessings the Lord has showered down upon us that we overlook or take for granted. I pray for a heart to see all that He has done for me!

    ReplyDelete