Sunday, October 3, 2010

Rest in His Peace

Have you ever been really tired? Can you recall that feeling of pure exhaustion when you would so love to give up and forget about everything else? I think a lot of times we can feel like that in our Spiritual life as well as our need for sleep in the physical sense.

God has been calling me to rest in Him this week, and all week I've been confused as to what that could mean. I didn't know how to rest in something that I couldn't physically rely on. Later in the week we sang the hymn "I Am Thine, O Lord" and the last verse has a line that reads, "There are heights of joy that I may not reach till I rest in peace with Thee." This struck me with the realization that I couldn't be completely joyful in Him if I wasn't resting in His peace. But how could one rest in peace?

One of the classes offered at the Association Free Lutheran Bible School (AFLBS) is Hebrews and James, and this week we were learning about rest. Crazy how God has a way of doing that, huh? The second section of Hebrews 3 speaks of "A Rest for the People of God", and chapter 4 opens with "Therefore, the promise of entering His rest still stands". That's a promise! Verses 15-16 say, "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need."

God knows our struggles, He has been through everything that we have and is there with us even now. In that last verse God proclaims that we can confidently run to Him and He will give us His peace. Matthew 11:28 reaffirms that: "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest"

Are you resting in His peace? Give Him your every sorrow, trouble, need, everything. He is more than capable of handling any situation. Matthew 8 tells the story of the storm on the sea, which Pastor Michael Brandt spoke on at the Revival Conference last week. He stated, "Jesus created those waters, He's more than able to subdue them". Just let Him!

I pray that this would be an encouragement to you. Just rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment