Sunday, September 19, 2010

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall!

Have you ever looked in the mirror and been disgusted with the reflection?

No, I'm not talking about a physical mirror, but rather a spiritual mirror. The Word of God is excellent at showing one for who he or she really is. The more I spend time in the Word I become more and more appalled at the image I see. For me, the logical thing is to try to fix what I see, such as I would if I were having a bad hair day. It makes sense, right?

However, that's not what the Bible teaches us. Philippians 3:9-10 says, "Not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith- that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and may share His sufferings, becoming like Him in His death"

When we can see our failures it's easy want to fix them ourselves, especially living in America when we're self-sufficient and independent. We have the Law, which we can use to guide us in our strive for perfection. Earlier in the chapter, Paul talks of how he lived by the Law more than anyone "though I myself have reason for confidence in the flesh also. If anyone else thinks he has reason for confidence in the flesh, I have more" - verse 4. He then lists how he lived by the law, but it wasn't enough.

Friends, there is no way we can be righteous in of ourselves. It's not possible. I speak of this because for the past few years I have been trying, and failing miserably I might add. It's so easy to "follow the rules" of being a Christian, but that won't get you anywhere. We truly need to rely on God's grace, that is the only strength we will find to be righteous.

"Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me His own" - Phil 3:12 (emphasis added).

No comments:

Post a Comment