Thursday, September 16, 2010

Deere John

Deere John,

I finally figured you out! For years I have wondered how you decided on that perfect color combination. Green and yellow in perfect proportion. Enough green to fit in on St. Patrick's Day, and enough yellow to me up when I'm feeling too mellow. To most farmers your subtle hues are old news. To me you are a glimmer of hope. As I ran through the dense forest and rolling wetland that traces the path of the Minnesota River, I was struck by something with more power than a T670 Combine. You're all about transformation. Tilling old soil. Planting millions of seeds. Fertilize the growing plant. Chop the crop. Manicure grass to change a boring green piece of land, into an argyle sweater for the center fielder. Take sand from an unsightly pile and smooth it into a beautiful scene of laughter, high fives, and families connecting on a backyard beach volleyball court in the Red River Valley. Whether it's work or play, John Deere is transforming the land.

The leaves are beginning to change colors along the Minnesota River. Some are still the same vibrant green that 90% of the 3032E Compact Tractor comes painted. Some of the leaves might fall on the seat of an X500 Lawn Tractor and never be seen again. Regardless of the color, the leaves are in a time of transformation. John Deere tractors are hard at work today, transforming acres of crop into bushels of food.

Jesus is all about transformation. I have experienced it. Sometimes it has been as dramatic as the change in color from the wheel well to the roof on Uncle D's loader. During the process, I'm not the deep green of an August leaf or the bright yellow of an autumn leaf. Instead I'm that beautiful in between color that sparkles in the evening light, almost the color of the lime you just squeezed on your Chipotle burrito. Maybe it's the color of Kayle Buscher's VW Beetle. Regardless, transformation takes place when I spend time with Jesus. In 2 Corinthians 3:18, it talks about this - "And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." Hmmm. Like a leaf.

That's what's going on in my life right now, deere John. I hope you take some time to idle your engine, get refueled, and continue with the transforming business.

Love, Tim

1 comment: