Sunday, August 1, 2010

Marriage is what brings us together today...

I love weddings. There's just something about them that has always captured my heart. The pretty dresses, the decorations, and the beaming couple ready to begin their life as one. Yesterday I was blessed to attend one such wedding. As I thought of my love of weddings and romance in general, I was reminded that we are to be married to Christ one day.

In Hosea 2 it says "And I will betroth you to me forever. I will betroth you to me in righteousness and in justice, in steadfast love and in mercy. I will betroth you to me in faithfulness. And you shall know the Lord."

Last week my church sang Chris Tomlin's song "Enough" and there's a line in it that says "You satisfy me with Your love". Before we sang, our leader Becky Skramstad spoke on how marriage is a great blessing from the Lord, but ultimately our love has to be satisfied in God alone. There is absolutely no way that another human being could ever satisfy all of our needs. These verses speak of the future that God has for those who love Him. He's waiting as our bridegroom and wants our hearts to belong solely to Him.

The last line of verse 20 has always stuck out to me here. In other passages of Scripture when the phrase so and so "knew" someone, it implied conception. Adam "knew" Eve, Abraham "knew" Sarah; it is a very intimate term to describe the closest relationship possible. This passage says that one day we will also know the Lord. Can you imagine the closeness we will have with the Creator of the universe?

But God doesn't want us to wait until that day to get to know Him in a personal, intimate way. He wants that to begin now. As we grow older and face all of life's trials, the Lord is the only constant, and He is waiting patiently for us to embrace the wonderful relationship He has waiting for us with Him.

So I ask you this tonight: where does your satisfaction come from?

No comments:

Post a Comment