Monday, August 2, 2010

We are weak, but He is strong

It's nearly 10:00 as I sit in my living room sipping my coffee and contemplating what to write about this morning. I could tell you a number of things . . . like the bird that was so confused as to why he could not fly through the glass into our living room this morning or about our lettuce that is so tall and green we might accidentally use it for our Christmas tree this year. But, I don't exactly know what the spiritual connection would be.

So instead, I'll write regarding a little phrase that struck me this morning from Hebrews 11. This chapter, "God's Hall of Faith", serves as both an encouragement and a challenge to me. As I read about those who have come before us with such faith, I can't help but feel inspired to boldly walk in faith. Towards the end of the chapter, the author begins to lump many of these faithful followers of the LORD into a single section, creating a list of the faith actions they accomplished. Found in the list are things like conquering kingdoms, shutting the mouths of lions, and escaping the edge of the sword (Hebrews 11:33-34) - all pretty brave, bold, adventurous stuff. But amongst these, there lies a phrase perhaps too easily skimmed over because of its simplicity -

"From weakness were made strong" (Hebrews 11:34)

When we face times of trial, when we struggle and despair, it is definitely no fun. But it is during such times that we grow. How can the Lord prove His strength unless given opportunity? How are we to give Him that opportunity when life is all sunshine and roses for us? In 2 Corinthians, Paul writes regarding our weaknesses and the Lord's strength.

"And He has said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.' Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong."
(2 Corinthians 12:9-10)

Difficulties, distresses, trials, whatever word you place on them, do indeed come. We often want those times to go much quicker than they do. But next time you find yourself in a desperate situation, remember to lean on the Lord. Remember that He is perfecting you into the person He wants you to be. He is strengthening your faith - adding you to the "cloud of witnesses" (Hebrews 12:1) of faithful believers.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Sarah, for writing. Indeed, Christ is magnified in our weaknesses more often than our strengths. Thanks for writing for Grounded 3:17!

    ReplyDelete