Friday, April 16, 2010

What was I thinking?

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” declares the Lord. “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts than your thoughts.

“For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, And do not return there without watering the earth And making it bear and sprout, And furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater; So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.
(Isaiah 55:8-11)

The many promises in this passage have never left me. They have always been a comfort, especially lately. God’s ways always amaze me. I think the most fun things to think about is how God has led my life from when I was in High School until now. I had my own thoughts on where I would be…never would I have thought I would end up in Arizona, here to share Jesus with so many who need Him desperately. At the time, my plans were invincible, and they were gonna happen…but I praise God that He is the one in control, and He knows what He is doing. I can’t even begin to understand God’s thoughts and ways, so instead I marvel at them. He has led me to Arizona, where I am in the center of His will. There’s nowhere else I would rather be. In verse 9, “way” (Greek: Derek) means road, journey. God definitely has me on an adventurous journey that I’m excited to travel with Him!

As I am here in AZ to share Jesus and God’s Word, I give Him glory that it never returns void. Every Wednesday afternoon we have Kids Club, where about 9 kids show up. A handful of them like to give us trouble every week, and most of them don’t seem to want to have anything to do with God outside of Wednesday night. I pray that their lives will be impacted, that they would see Christ. But here, God promises that His Word never returns without accomplishing what He desires. It is easy to be discouraged after Kids Club, thinking that they got nothing out of that time, but even if it is something that they remember five years down the road that turns them to Christ, then Praise God! Wednesday night may be the only night that they receive any form of love, any resemblance of Christ. That applies for any and every person that we encounter during our day, those we know, and those we don’t.

I thank God that in just the right time, He encourages me. Many times it is easy to forget it's not about results, but about staying focused on Christ, though at times He does give us results. There is a six year old who has just started coming after Easter who is full of joy and energy. He makes me smile every Wednesday! Yadiel has such a heart for Jesus. He is a kid who has so much fun…and if there isn’t any fun being had, he makes it! The other day his mom came into the church and told Pastor Al that ever since he had been coming to kids club he started reading his Bible every night. When I heard this I couldn’t stop smiling. Just one way God’s word has not returned void, and another way His plans are greater than mine.

1 comment:

  1. God's ways and thoughts truly are above our ways and thoughts and when we think we've just gotten them figured out He goes and blows our minds again; always with wonder and beauty and grace (though it may take us a while to realize it). Thanks for the thoughts, Rachel, they were encouraging today.

    ReplyDelete