Monday, October 14, 2013

Precious Life . . . From the Start

One of the scariest moments of my life happened when I was pregnant with Ezekiel. I was about 11, 12 weeks along. We had just released the news of our coming little one to family and friends. Although initially scared and shocked, I was excited and already in love with that little baby. One morning, I had a tiny bit of spotting. It wasn't much and I almost didn't even call the doctor about it. But the doctor was unable to find baby's heartbeat, which heightened concern because just one week prior she could find it. I was petrified. The drive to the hospital in Hazen was the longest seven-mile drive of my life. Praise the Lord that the ultrasound revealed a kicking, squirming, heart-beating baby.
But I know that many are not so fortunate. I know many who have dealt with the pain of miscarriage. 
I remember telling my mom after the scare with Zeke, "I know he's only 12 weeks old, but it was still really scary."
To which she replied, "Of course you were! That is three months of falling in love with that little baby."

12 weeks. Three months. About the size of a plum. But still loved. Still valuable. Still a child. Because life begins at conception.
"You formed my inward parts; you wove me in my mother's womb . . . I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are Your works . . . My frame was not hidden from you, when I was made in secret and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth; Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in Your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was none of them." - Psalm 139:13-16; NASB
Tomorrow is National Infant Loss and Remembrance Day. A difficult, important day for those who have lost babies, whether through miscarriage, a stillborn birth or other tragedy. Because life does indeed begin at conception. And no matter the size of the child, loss is hard.

To my friends who have lost those little ones, my heart goes out to you. Not just tomorrow, but when you hear news of others' pregnancies. When your baby's due date rolls around. When you see the joyous smiles of other little ones.

And my prayers are with you. You have dealt with a pain I cannot imagine nor fathom. My prayer is that you will cling to the One who knows your heartache and pain. That you will find strength for each moment in every day in Him. That in the midst of the pain, you are able to remember His great lovingkindess.
"Remember my affliction and my wandering, the wormwood and bitterness. Surely my soul remembers and is bowed down within me. This I recall to mind, therefore I have hope. The LORD's lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. 'The LORD is my portion,' says my soul, 'Therefore I have hope in Him." . . . If He causes grief, then He will have compassion according to His abundant lovingkindness." - Lamentations 3:19-24, 32; NASB (emphasis mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment