Monday, July 29, 2013

I Wasn't Expecting That

There's been an unusual amount of surprises in my life lately. Some of them have been wonderful - like the surprise of seeing my big brother's car roll into our driveway after I hadn't been expecting to see him for another month. But most of them have been not-so-great. Like hearing that my brother-in-law end up receiving twenty-six stitches and surgery after a collision with a glass patio door. Or like learning my sister-in-law ended up in the hospital with a ruptured Meckel's Diverticulum. (Triple surprise. Who even knows what that is, let alone has one, let alone a ruptured one?) To be honest, sometimes surprises aren't fun. In fact, they can be scary.

In the midst of the fear, of the unknown, of the surprise, I've been reminding myself that the Lord wasn't surprised. He never is. From eternity past, He has known the future: He has known exactly what was going to take place in my life on this day. He knows what is going to take place tomorrow. There is nothing, nothing, nothing that will take my God by surprise.
"In Your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them." - Psalm 139:16, NASB
Although I may be shocked, the Lord is not. Maybe He's simply shocking me back into His arms. To find strength in Him. To rest in Him. To trust in Him.
"'Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.'" - Isaiah 41:10, NASB


No comments:

Post a Comment