Monday, July 8, 2013

And then the Storm Came

I've never really like thunderstorms. Ever. A rumble of thunder, a flash of lightning - that's okay. But it's this business of severe storms that can turn into tornadoes that terrifies me. In fact, if I made a list of the top five things that terrify me, tornadoes and snakes would be right up there, along with losing a loved one. As a kid, I remember huddling in our downstairs hallway (because we didn't have a basement), clutching my teddy bear and praying for God's protection as a tornado went around the town of Sioux Falls. That tornado later became known as the Spencer Tornado, as it hit and crushed little Spencer, Iowa. Even as a 24 year old adult, I still feel the same fear as I did back in first grade.

So tonight, as the sirens blared, the wind rushed in, the wind slammed against the windows, my heart instantly felt fear. Fear for me, for my sleeping baby boy, for my husband. I opened my Bible, knowing that I needed comfort only my Father could give. I was trying to find something in the Psalms - they're full of comfort verses in tough times, right? Instead, I ended up in Job. And the Lord couldn't have spoken more clearly -
"'Out of the south comes the storm, and out of the north the cold. From the breath of God ice is made, and the expanse of the waters is frozen. Also with moisture He loads the thick cloud; He disperses the cloud of His lightning. It changes direction, turning around by His guidance, that it may do whatever He commands it. Whether for correction, or for His world, or for lovingkindness, He causes it to happen.'" - Job 37:9-13, NASB (emphasis mine)
I have no idea what direction this storm came from. But I do know the One who sent it. The One who is near when I am afraid. The One who is my Rock, my fortress, my protection. I may hate the storm, but I am not alone in it. And for that, I am thankful.
"But now, thus says the LORD, your Creator, O Jacob, and He who formed you, O Israel, 'Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine! When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they will not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, nor will the flame burn you. For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior . . . Do not fear, for I am with you.'" - Isaiah 43:1-3, 5a, NASB (emphasis mine)
Unlike me, Jordan loves these things. After spending some time watching the storm, he said -"It's like the trees are bowing down out there. It's pretty cool."

So maybe this is just one way that the created praises the Creator?

No comments:

Post a Comment