Tuesday, June 25, 2013

In the Midst of the Whirlwind

2200 miles. Fourteen days. Thirteen nights. One Annual Conference. Two family reunions. One of my best friend's (aka brother's) wedding. It was a crazy - but blessed - two weeks. We stayed in the same location no more than four days before traveling to a new one. We went from North Dakota to Minnesota to Wisconsin and to Minnesota to Wisconsin and back to North Dakota. We saw extended family on both sides. I played ultimate frisbee for the first time in probably four years and felt the effects for days. I cried as I saw the love in my brother's eyes for his beautiful bride. My son touched his grandpa's bald head for the first time and increased his fascination with mowers.

It's been a crazy whirlwind of two weeks for this Langness family.

And now we're home. I'm on my third load of laundry since yesterday evening with hopefully only one more to go. I've got a front flower bed that needs weeding. Somewhere in my vegetable garden are watermelons; I just can't tell because of the plethora of weeds in that corner. I've got groceries to get and a few errands to run. The in-laws are coming on Thursday. Zeke has a doctor's appointment in Bismarck on Thursday morning. We've got a wedding reception on Saturday evening. Jordan leaves for the FLY convention on Sunday. And then there's the every day stuff of simply enjoying life with my toddler and husband, making sure that toddler doesn't dive headfirst into his new pool, cooking, washing dishes, cleaning the bathrooms, and all the other joys of routine life.

Coming home has been a whirlwind too.

As I was making a to-do list last night, I felt overwhelmed with all that I needed to do, that I should get done in just a few short days. But this morning I was given a gift. The gift of sleeping in for all three of us -- including my ever-active one-year-old. Because of that, I was given much needed rest and time. Time in the Word. Time with my Lord. Time to simply stop, sip my coffee, read the Word and be refreshed.

During that time, I was reminded of the importance of stopping. Of resting. Of putting to the to-do list literally out of sight and praying that it will be out of mind as I spend time with my Savior. And I was also struck by how Jesus Himself took that time to be with His Abba - even in the midst of a larger to-do list than mine.
"And immediately after they came out of the synagogue, they came into the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John. Now Simon's mother-in-law was lying sick with a fever; and immediately they spoke to Jesus about her. And He came to her and raised her up, taking her by the hand, and the fever left her, and she waited on them.  
When evening came, after the sun had set, they began bringing to him all who were ill and those who were demon-possessed. And the whole city had gathered at the door. And He healed many who were ill with various diseases, and cast out many demons; and He was not permitting the demons to speak, because they knew who He was. In the early morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house, and went away to a secluded place, and was praying there. Simon and his companions searched for Him; the found Him and said to Him, 'Everyone is looking for you.' He said to them, 'Let us go somewhere else to the towns nearby, so that I may preach there also; for that is what I came for.' And He went into their synagogues throughout all Galilee, preaching and casting out demons
And a leper came to Jesus . . . " - Mark 1:29-40a, NASB, emphasis mine
The work - the to-do list - never ended for Jesus. Always He was needed. Always He was wanted. And yet He never complained. He served and loved because that is what He came to do. He spent time with His Father -- setting an example for us to follow in.

I only wish setting aside the long lists and being able to truly focus on the Word and on Christ was as easy everyday as it was today. But I guess that's what this whole learning to "set your minds" (Colossians 3:2) is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment