Monday, February 18, 2013

He's Got It

I'm not much of a singer. In fact, you could probably classify me as tone-deaf. One day, after a "try and see if you can match this note" session with my husband, I commented to him how one of the biggest disappoints for me in not having a good signing voice was that I wouldn't be able to sing lullabies to our children someday. Interestingly, the little man hasn't thrown his hands over his ears when I sing to him . . . so far, anyways. And those moments when we're snuggling and singing before naptime happen to be some of my most precious times with him.

One of my favorites to sing to Ezekiel - whether I'm settling him down for a nap, giving him his nightly bath, or trying to make the 500 miles from Beulah to Minneapolis less traumatic - is "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands". I like to make up my own verses too, make the song more personal, more specific to our family and our current situation. So sometimes we sing "He's got your grandpa's and your grandma's in His hands" or "He's got your aunts and your uncles in His hands" or, when the weather is rough and our tires our bad, "He's got the ice and the tires in His hands".

You know what else I like about this song? It's a good reminder for me too. Because a lot of times, I tend to think that the future, our safety, our lives, is in my hands. But it's not. It's in His. And it's not only my heartaches, my concerns, my worries, or my sorrows that are in His hands. I am in His hands.
"'Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.'" - Isaiah 41:10 
Remember, no matter how difficult the situation may seem, He's got it. He's got you. He is the LORD.

No comments:

Post a Comment