Saturday, February 16, 2013

Crack Fix

"I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you. Again I will build you, and you shall be built..." Jeremiah 31: 3b-4a

Friday I volunteered help a friend repaint her guest room. Taping off the molding with blue painters tape, I suddenly began noticing many unsightly cracks beneath each window. 

It would be easiest to simply paint over the cracks.
Much easier than repairing them.

But eventually. . . the paint would give way to the unsightly imperfection. And the crack once covered under a fresh coat of paint, would again be revealed. 

The old paint surrendered easily to the scraping of my putty knife. The broken drywall now fully exposed, I began to smear putty into the gaping crack. Smoothing the white mud, I wondered how obvious would the repair be? and how long before the crack would break through again? 

That got me thinking. God isn't in the business of quick fixes.
He's in the business of lasting results

This means tearing down before rebuilding. And often, it means placing new supports beneath the foundation to prevent the same blemish from reoccurring. 

"And I will give you a new heart, 
and new spirit I will put within you. 
And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh 
and give you a heart of flesh."
Ezekiel 36:26

1. The demolition is painful, as we surrender to the life-saving blade
humbling as broken areas are exposed. 
"You will loathe yourselves for your iniquities and your abominations." vs 31

2. But soon, our Loving Builder, replaces the broken pieces with entirely new ones. New! Fresh. Clean. Whole. Pure. 
"I will deliver you from all your uncleannesses..." vs. 29

3. He then strengthens us with His Spirit and His Word. 
"And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules." vs. 27

4. Ultimately, He does all this for His glory
"Then the nations that are left all around you shall know that I am the Lord
I have rebuilt the ruined places..." Ezekiel 36:36

Where is your wall cracked? Will you release it to the Master Builder? Trust Him to demolish, replace, and strengthen. . . that His holy name might be glorified!

No comments:

Post a Comment