Thursday, January 17, 2013

At the Feet of Christ

I'm not good at being quiet.

I think I've told you this before, but I really hate to be alone. I'm good at being busy-- I good at socializing and serving and constantly going. I really have a lot of energy when it comes to that, and then I crash so I can wake up and do it all over again the next morning. That way I don't think too much, and that way I don't have to listen to the lies that Satan throws my way. I'm a very positive person, but it's really easy to believe that I'm an inconvenience, not loved, not beautiful, etc. I know we all have certain thoughts that we struggle with, but if I'm busy I can usually dismiss them and focus on what I need to be doing instead.

I'm alone a lot now. In speaking of this fear with a friend, he told me that it sounds like I need to just be quiet for a while. This made me take a look at someone I resemble far too much in Luke 10:38-42

"...And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to His teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to Him and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me." But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her."

Mary sat at the feet of Christ. Martha served. Mary soaked in the presence of the Lord. Martha was distracted, anxious, and troubled. I could start going by the name Martha from this description.

Maybe I'm preaching to the choir and this post is more for myself than anyone else, but I find it easy to be Martha. Just to sit at the feet of Jesus seems strange, that somehow there must be more that we should be doing. But Jesus said it was good.

So I've stopped. And I'm quiet and still and alone. A lot. In this aloneness -- although there is a sense of being lonely in the physical manner -- there's also such sweet joy that comes in sitting at the feet of Jesus. There's time for prayer and the Word of God and sweet, sweet fellowship with the Lord.

Friends, I don't know where you are today. Maybe you're already a Mary and this is just an encouragement to continue in your time with Jesus. But maybe, just maybe, you're a Martha like me. Maybe you too need to hear that you just need to be still, and know that HE is God. Wherever you are today, I pray that you find yourself at the feet of Jesus.

"Don't be in a rush to move forward when God might want you right where you're standing." -- 30 Words by Jarrid Wilson

1 comment:

  1. It is hard to be still and wait, but when we do we are blessed beyond measure and gain strength to move the next mountain.

    ReplyDelete