Monday, December 10, 2012

God is not Watching from a Distance

I'll admit it: I was getting worried that we were going to have a brown Christmas.  I really like snow - especially at Christmastime. But it seems like I forget how awful it is to drive in during the few short months we are without snow. This past weekend as we traveled to Minneapolis to visit family and attend a concert, I was reminded of how scary it can be to drive on icy, snowy and slick roadways.

After spending nearly an hour in the ditch where I-494 breaks of into I-694 and I-94, the lyrics to the song "From a Distance" played in my head. As they did, I wondered where on earth I had ever even heard that song. My heart also broke for those who believe such a truth as "God is watching us . . . from a distance".

I guarantee you that the Lord's hand was upon our little Ford Focus on Sunday night. He orchestrated events so it turned out that there was no one behind or next to us. He orchestrated events so that the snow was still soft and not hard-packed. He orchestrated events so that no other cars hit us while we waited one hour for a tow truck. I know and believe without a shadow of a doubt that we do NOT serve a God who watches at a distance. We serve a God who is ever-present with us wherever we go.
"But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge. . ." - Psalm 73:28 (emphasis mine) 
"'Do not fear, for I am with you . . .'" - Isaiah 43:5a (emphasis mine) 
"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change and though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea. . ." - Psalm 46:1-2a (emphasis mine)
What a fantastic, wonderful, blessed promise! What a comfort! Know that whatever heartache, pain, or fear you may find yourself in: you are not alone. God is indeed watching you - but He isn't simply watching. He is right there with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment