Monday, November 12, 2012

Let Him

If I ever went back to college, I think I'd get a degree in psychology. I have no idea what I'd do with it; I just like to try and figure people out. Like what made my brother-in-law Caleb decide to be a cat one day in school? Or what made him look in the freezer for a lost pair of shoes? There are other things I like to try and figure out too. Like why some days my son fights his naps and other days he quickly succumbs to sleep. Or why certain days he is excessively spitty more than others. But I've simply had to resign myself to the reality that I'll never have it all figured out; I'll never truly understand why people do what they do.

Sometimes we do that with God, don't we? We try to figure Him out. We try to decide why He does what He does. We try to determine why He allows certain events to happen. And I believe there are times when we believe we've got the Lord all figured out.

But we don't. And we never will.
"Oh, the depths of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways! For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who became His counselor? Or who has first given to Him that it might be paid back to Him again?" - Romans 11:33-35 
"The thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God." - 1 Corinthians 2:11
Take comfort in the fact that nothing escapes the Lord. He knows about your heartache. He knows about your pain. But maybe instead of trying to figure Him out, trying to decifer His reasoning and decisions -- maybe just let Him be God and let you be His child. Let Him hold your tears; let Him bring you strength; let Him be your joy.

I think that's what trust is all about: not having to know everything and simply leaning on the strength of the One who does.


No comments:

Post a Comment