Friday, September 7, 2012

Truths from the Trail

People have been telling me the truth for a while now. 

A couple years ago I heard the good news ... about the Whitefish Trail. 

Mountain biking is something God used to help me understand the Good News of His grace. So hearing about a beautifully built trail meandering about the mountains of Montana brought me joy. 

I talked about this good news with anyone who experienced it first hand. 
I talked about the pros and cons of riding this trail. 
I talked about the facts and the fables. 
I talked about the Whitefish trail so much you'd think I was an expert. 

But last night was the first time I experienced it for myself. 

Everything has changed. My life is different now.

I know through experience that the Whitefish Trail is awesome. 

Today God is using mountain biking to help me understand life with Him in a whole new way once again. 

Quite often I talk about the Good News of Jesus' sacrifice for my sin.
Quite often I talk about the good and bad parts of the Church.
Quite often I talk about other people's opinions of being a disciple of Christ.
Quite often I talk about the Triune God like I'm an expert on who He is in reality.

But all too often, I am not experiencing YHWH for who He wants to be to me. 

And I fear most of us are in that place too. 

We know the theological systems of thought from A - Z and everything in between.
We know the "right" way to be a Christian and the "wrong" way to "do church." 
We know the "best practices" of spiritual growth and can explain them to anyone.
We know the truth but have not let it set us free. 

The Bible uses the Greek "ginosko" to describe a type of knowledge that comes through real, personal experience. It gets at a deep intimacy that Abba, Yeshua, and Ruach Elohim (Hb. = Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) want us to have with Him. It is a different kind of knowing than that which is only in our head and experienced in our conversations. 

Jesus wants you to spend time getting to know Him.

Are you like me and find yourself talking more about Jesus and His love than you do truly taking it in and letting Him transform your life?

How does God want you to experience His grace and know Him more fully today?

Do you need to spend less time talking with your friends about theology and start putting into practice living in the presence of God? 

I know I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment