Monday, September 24, 2012

Beneficial Struggle

Over the past week, Ezekiel has mastered the skill of rolling from his back to his tummy. It seems like every time I lay him down on his back, he whips himself onto his tummy to view the world from a different perspective. Rolling from his tummy to his back, however, is a different ball game. Occasionally, Zeke's been able to roll himself onto his back; but most of the time, when he's had enough of that "tummy time" business, he begins to whimper and to fuss. As a mom, it's hard to see my baby struggle like that - but I can't always come to his rescue. I've got to sit back, encourage him, and see how's he going to handle his struggle. Because if I instantly responded to his first whimper of help, Zeke would never learn how to roll over. Maybe never  learn how to crawl. The struggle - hard as it may be - is beneficial.

The other day, as I was watching Zeke scootch his knees under his tummy in an attempt to roll onto his back, as I heard him whimper a pathetic "help me whimper" -- I couldn't help but compare the situation to our relationship with the Lord. All too often, we find ourselves in difficult situations; and like my 19-week old, sometimes we put ourselves in those situations. Perhaps, although it is difficult for Him to watch His children struggle, to watch them hurt, to watch them sin -- the LORD can't immediately come to our rescue either. Just as it's good for my little Zeke to struggle in order to learn and to grow; maybe it's good for us to struggle in order to learn and to grow as well. The struggle - hard as it may be - is beneficial.

I've often heard it said that it is in the times of trouble, adversity, and hardship that we grow closest to the LORD. And the wonderful thing is: He doesn't leave us to struggle alone. He is with us - each and every difficult step along the way.
"'Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.'" - Isaiah 41:10
When you face a hardship: remember who is holding you up. The Creator of the universe. The Savior of souls. The God who raises the dead. Is there anything too difficult for Him? Is there any pain that He cannot handle for you? Is there any hardship that He cannot see you through?
". . .We were burdened excessively, beyond our strength, so that we despaired even of life; indeed, we had the sentence of death within ourselves so that we would not trust in ourselves, but in God who raises the dead; who delivered us from so great a peril of death, and will deliver us, He on whom we have set our hope. And He will yet deliver us . . ." - 2 Corinthians 1:8-10
"'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.'" - 2 Corinthians 12:9 


No comments:

Post a Comment