Monday, May 28, 2012

Battling the Fists

It's been a little over two weeks since Jordan and I were blessed with our little Ezekiel. In some ways, it seems like Zeke's been around for a lot longer than that - maybe because we had anticipated his coming for so long, calling him by name since January. In other ways, I can hardly believe how quickly the last two weeks have gone - and it makes me scared at how quickly the next few years will go. So far, I absolutely love being a mom. 

Zeke does three things really well: eating, sleeping, and pooping. It's been a shock learning how many diapers one little boy can go through in just one diaper change. (I think the record up to this point is 4.) It's fun to see Jordan cuddling with his son as they both nap on the couch. It's interesting to see how excited Ezekiel gets when it's time to eat -- so excited that he often thrusts his fists in his mouth and begins sucking on them. While nursing him, I've got to battle those little fists and fingers, reassuring Zeke that they won't get him any nourishment. They won't satisfy. They won't fill his belly. 

The other day, I thought of how often we do the very same thing. We fill our lives and hearts with things that aren't going to satisfy. We try and fill our souls with things that aren't going to bring the spiritual nourishment that we need. How different our action are compared to that of the psalmist:
"How sweet are Your words to my taste! Yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth! From Your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way." - Psalm 119:103-104 
"I opened my mouth wide and panted, for I longed for Your commandments." - Psalm 119:131 
"I rejoice at Your word, as one who finds great spoil." - Psalm 119:163
Do we open our mouths wide for the Word of God? When we arise in the mornings, do we need to hear from Him, like we need that bowl of cereal or banana? Are His words sweet to us, bringing joy and conviction and encouragement? Do we rejoice at the simple fact that we have the Word of God in our own language? That we can read it freely, without fear of death? 

May we all desire for the Lord to create that desire within us. May we crave the true nourishment that only He can give through His Word!

(PS: I'll try not to be one of those bloggers that only writes about her son from now on. He's just so cute and provides such great spiritual object lessons! So, please don't be annoyed yet.)

No comments:

Post a Comment