Monday, April 16, 2012

Butterscotch

Over the last couple of months, Jordan and I seem to have acquired a cat. We've affectionately dubbed this feline "Butterscotch" because it fits the color of his fur, as well as the fact that he was once spotted licking up questionable butterscotch pudding remains from our garden. Butterscotch is supposed to live across the street from us, but he's often seen roaming the neighborhood. It's not uncommon for Butterscotch to perch in the tree in front of our house or squeeze through our back gate in order to come visit Jordan or I. To be honest, sometimes I think Butterscotch is quite pathetic. Cute, but pathetic.

Example of Butterscotch's somewhat pathetic nature: When our front gate is securely closed, he'll stick his little cat arm through first, knowing it's the first step in getting his whole body through. When that fails, he'll meow pathetically before attempting to stick his head through the small gap between the metal gate and the concrete sidewalk. When that fails, he'll again meow pathetically and attempt to stick his head through the two sections of the front gate. When Butterscotch finally realizes that he can't get through the gate, he'll simply look up at it - or at me standing in the back yard by the garden - and meow. And meow. And meow.

Despite the fact that I view Butterscotch's behavior as pathetic and humorous, I can't help but admire his perseverance. His drive to be with either Jordan and I. His realized need for love and attention. And then I ask myself: Do I have that same perseverance when it comes to seeking the Lord? Am I willing to go to great lengths to spend time with my Savior? Do I realize how desperately I need Him?
"One thing I have asked of the LORD, that I shall seek, that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD and to meditate in His temple." - Psalm 27:4

"'Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant seeking fine pearls, and upon finding one pearl of great value, he went and sold all that he had and bought it." - Matthew 13:45-46
I pray that I will be like Butterscotch: content simply to sit at the feet of my Master, finding joy in His presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment