Monday, March 5, 2012

More Hungry for a Burger or the Word?

Food cravings are strange things. And they have been hitting me with more intensity as of late. Cravings for things I would never normally eat, let alone crave, like Chinese stir-fry; cravings for things that I have always loved, like my mom's homemade pizza and a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie. Unfortunately, sometimes I get hit hard with a craving that cannot be satisfied, like a Quesadilla Burger from Applebee's (my current major craving) or a Pizza Bagel from Bagel Boy. And as much as I attempt to create my own restaurant masterpieces, sometimes the only thing that will satisfy is the real deal.

As I contemplate the randomness of these food cravings, I begin to think of a different kind of craving: a craving for the word of God. Why can I so often crave a certain food but never crave the words of my Savior? Why can I feel the incredible desire - even need - to eat a certain food, but never feel the incredible desire - even need to immerse myself in the Word?

In one of his letters, Peter encourages believers: ". . . Like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation. " (1 Peter 2:1-2) Another translation reads to "crave pure spiritual milk". David also wrote a psalm regarding this craving for the Lord: "As the deer pants [longs for] the water brooks, so my soul pants for You, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God . . ." (Psalm 42:1-2)

It is my prayer that the Lord would create this longing, this intense craving, for Him and His Word within me. I pray that I would crave His Word more than any food - no matter how delicious it tastes.



"Lord, I want to yearn for You, I want to burn with passion over You and only You. Lord, I want to yearn."

No comments:

Post a Comment