Thursday, March 8, 2012

God's Perfections For My Imperfection.

Perfection.

Over the last few days I've been frustrated with the definition the world gives for perfection. As I looked at what media and what our culture portrays it only made me realize that I did not measure up. Perfection is beauty and beauty is flawless. For women, this mindset is incredibly hurtful as "perfection" wears a size 2 and is 5'7'' tall. I do not fit this mold. I am not perfect.

But wait, that last statement rings a bell. God has a definition for perfection as well-- His Law. As I look through the law, given in Exodus 20, I realize that there I do not fit this mold either.

So I'm not perfect by the standards of this world, nor in the eyes of God. Great.

However, I have a God who is perfect. And a Savior who lived a perfect life for ME. Hebrews 4:15 states that He was "without sin" and yet He went to the Cross to pay the penalty for these sins-- and since He had none of His own to atone for, He took on the sins of every person who ever was or ever would be to come. Jesus Christ was perfect for us.

And yet, I still try to play that role. I don't like being real with people-- I want them to think I have it all together, that I'm a "good Christian" who doesn't struggle with sin. It's easy to think as believers that we must always be happy, never become angry, always eager to forgive, never afraid, always humble, and so on. And to an extent, it's fairly simple to play the part. But doesn't this defeat the purpose of the Cross?

I'm a Christian, a believer, a SAINT in the eyes of God. But to man and here in the flesh, I am still a sinner. Daily repentance is needed because I am still in need of a Savior.

The world needs to hear this message. It's easy for believers to put up that guard and "have it all together", but this isn't saying anything to unbelievers. The lost must hear that we, as Christians, are still sinners. We, as Christians, are imperfect. We, as Christians, are still in need of a Saviort. My Savior is not, but I still live in the state of imperfection in this life.

"But God shows His love for us in that while we were [and are] still sinners, Christ died for us."

I am still in need of a Savior, even when I appear to "have it all together". We're not fooling God, so we might as well stop trying to fool everyone else. I am not perfect, but I have a God who is.

No comments:

Post a Comment