Thursday, March 22, 2012

God Has a Purpose

"Wherever you are, be all there! Live to the hilt of every situation you believe to be the will of God."--Jim Elliot

Where are you right now?

Do you ever feel like you're just waiting for where you're really called to be? To be honest, I do. There are many days when I feel like I just want to start my "life-work", what I feel called to, and get frustrated in the here and now. As much as I love being a single college student and working part-time as a nanny, I want to be where "God wants me to be" and where I know He has "big plans for me".

But what is that saying about this time in my life?

Is this time completely worthless? Am I solely here so that I can be better there? I recently (as in yesterday) read a book called God At Work by Gene Veith that speaks of our vocations in life as a believer. He so clearly states, "Our vocation is already here, where we are and what we are doing right now."

So whether you feel like you're set, you're good to go as far as where you want to be in life and feel God wants you to be, or if you're like me--you enjoy where you are, but you are eagerly anticipating the future where God "wants you", or even if you despise where you are and are seriously anticipating getting to the green grass on the other side, God has a purpose.

Job (who we'll be looking at more next week) got it right when he was speaking with God after all of the tragedies of his life, "I know that You can do all things, and that no purpose of Your's can be thwarted." (Job 42:2) Even in the midst of all of the pain and sorrow Job went through, he knew that God had him there for a purpose. A common verse that is quoted also speaks of this: "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good for those who are called according to His purpose" (Romans 8:28).

God doesn't have you here just because you're not ready to be where He wants you to be. He wants you to be where you are right now. He has a purpose. Even in the mundane, tedious, everyday things like going to that job that you're at just to pay for school or doing your homework because you need that passing grade, God has a purpose.

So wherever you are, be all there. And praise God wherever He has you today. You were created to worship the Lord and to love your neighbor (Matthew 22:46-39), and no matter what you're "calling" is, this is what you are called to right now.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Thanks for this, Kate. It is so easy for me to think that doing "big things" for the Lord is always something different than He has me doing right now. But He ALWAYS has a plan and a purpose!

    ReplyDelete