Monday, October 10, 2011

Psalm 22

I think one of the things I like best about the book of Psalm is that it's so real. It's isn't a collection of "happy go lucky" songs that seem to deny the realities of life. The psalmists, as they composed their songs, were emptying out the cries of their heart before the Lord. They told Him of the struggles they were facing. They asked Him where He was in the midst of their suffering. And they praised Him.

I have been struck with this truth as I've started reading through the Psalms again this past week. But it hit me especially hard this morning as I ate my Honey Nut Cheerios and read these words:

"My God, my God, why have You forsaken me? Far from my deliverance are the words of my groaning. O my God, I cry by day, but You do not answer; and by night, but I have no rest.
Yet, You are holy, O You who are enthroned upon the praises of Israel. In You our fathers trusted; they trusted and You delivered them. To You they cried out and were delivered; in You they trusted and were not disappointed." (Psalm 22:1-5, emphasis added)
If you feel as though the Lord is far from you; that the cries you are offering up to Him aren't being heard; if you fear that His deliverance won't reach in time . . . Remember. Remember who God is: Yahweh - I AM. The One who carried our sorrows and bore our griefs. The One who experienced every temptation that you face and endured. The One who does indeed hear your cries and does indeed answer in His time.

Remember. Remember the countless times that the Lord has shown you His faithfulness in times past. Remember the countless times that the Lord has shown His faithfulness to your family members, your friends. Remember that He is Holy and completely in control.

And in the shadow of His wings, take refuge.



No comments:

Post a Comment