Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Contentment - Part One


Am I content? Am I content with where I am? Am I content with what I have? There are two areas for us to find contentment in. The first area is finding contentment in where in life we are. The second area is finding contentment with the things we have.

We should be content, but how do we arrive at contentment? Paul in Philippians 4:11 says, "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances."

Contentment is learned.
How is it learned? 

Part One: Joy.
Contentment is found in having joy in all circumstances.
Philippians1:18-20 "But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice. Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and God’s provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance. I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death."
Paul's purpose was to preach Christ and that surpassed everything else in his life. That brought him joy. Joyful contentment.
Philipians 4:4-7 "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Paul recognized the importance of rejoicing and giving thanks no matter the circumstance (situation).

I've always loved these verses in James 1:2-4 that say "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

Sometimes the place we find ourselves in is great and sometimes it's tough. We know it's easy to be positive when things are going well. The above verses encourage us to rejoice in all things whatever our circumstance may be. In all things we have the Joy of the Lord to abide in and exhibit as we face all of the different circumstances, situations and trials we will face in this life. That joy is key to learning contentment.

Tune back in next Wednesday for Part Two.
~Naomi




No comments:

Post a Comment