Thursday, October 6, 2011

Never Once

Have you ever felt alone? That's a silly question; I think everyone would answer with an absolute "yes". This song by Matt Redman (click on the title of this post!) has been such a powerful reminder to me this week that God is always with me. Even when I feel utterly alone, God is with me.

In my class with Pastor Haugen at the Bible School, we were talking about the description in Luke 2 of the birth of Christ. Pastor Haugen spoke of how the Holy Spirit inspired Luke to write of this account in such a simple tone, basically stating that it happened. Pastor Haugen said, "We like fireworks. We would prefer parades with pomp and blare bands playing. But God often comes to us in a whisper, in the quietness of our hearts."

God doesn't always make His presence known in our lives, but He is always with us. If you're like me, you'd rather have Him physically here, guiding each step that I take. However, that's where faith comes in. Over and over again in Scripture, we're given the promise that God will never leave us.

"Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you." --Deuteronomy 31:6

One of my favorite passages about God's faithfulness in keeping His presence with us comes from Joshua 1:5. In this chapter, God is commissioning Joshua to lead His people after Moses has now died. Can you imagine the fear Joshua must have felt? Moses saw the Lord-- in the burning bush and also on the mountain. God was with Moses every step of the way, even when Israel's faith was lacking. Would He continue to lead Israel now that Moses was gone? God makes such a beautiful promise to Joshua here, and I think it is a sweet truth to take with us even this day, "Just as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not leave you or forsake you."

Know that wherever you are, on the mountain top or the battle ground, God is with you. You will never be alone, because God is faithful.

1 comment: