Sunday, August 28, 2011

A Work in Progress

Are any of you like me? Do you ever have days when you look back at all your failures, shortcomings, sins? I had a few of those this week.

I think it's easy for us to get down on ourselves sometimes--to dwell on our past, especially when it is still effecting the present. While there is a time to have sorrow over our sins, we need to be mindful that when God forgives, He forgets. "As far as the east is from the west, so far does He remove our transgressions from us" (Psalm 103:12). That's pretty far!

During one such day, God brought me the song "History" by Matthew West, which reminded me that everything that I've done that I regret and wish I could take back is gone, it's history. And while some of those choices do still effect the present and consequences might linger on, there's such a great promise that God isn't finished with us quite yet. Just today I was brought to Brandon Heath's song "Wait and See":
"There is hope for me yet, because God won't forget all the plans He's made for me. I have to wait and see. He's not finished with me yet."

What a glorious promise! Sanctification (the process of becoming holy in the world's eyes, as opposed to justification: the immediate holiness in God's eyes) is something that will continue until the day we enter into eternity with our Father. The process isn't going to be completed on this earth. While to some that might be rather grim news, but to me this is such a sweet promise because I know He still wants to work in my life.

Philippians 1:6 says, "And I am sure of this, that He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ".

Friends, He has begun a good work in you! And He will not stop working in your life until He's done. I don't know what any of you struggle with in your past, but leave it there. The blood of the Lamb is more than enough to cover all your mistakes, regrets, everything. And take heed to the promise that God isn't done working. I'm sure many of you have heard the old saying, "God loves you just the way you are, but He loves you too much to leave you that way."

Yesterday is history, leave that in the past. Look at today and what He's doing in your life; He's not finished with you yet!

1 comment: