Monday, August 8, 2011

Pressing Needs and Good Deeds

First off, I feel like I owe some of you an explanation of some kind. My thoughts from last week got some people a little nervous and maybe even a little excited. To clarify, Jordan and I’s decisions I wrote about last week have nothing to do with leaving Beulah or attending seminary. So, apologies to those of you who may have lost sleep or burnt your hair with your curling iron.

Today, Titus became one of my favorite books in the Bible. Only three chapters long, I think we can glance over it far too often. Although there were many verses that both challenged and encouraged me, I was struck with how often Paul wrote of “good deeds”. In regards to the “defiled and unbelieving”, Paul says,

“They profess to know God, but by their deeds they deny Him, being detestable and disobedient and worthless for any good deed.” (1:16)

Paul encourages Titus that –

“In all things show yourself to be an example of good deeds . . .” (2:7)

As well as encouraging him to

“Be ready for every good deed” (3:1).

Most convicting to me, however, was found at the end of chapter 3 –

“Our people must also learn to engage in good deeds to meet pressing needs, so that they will not be unfruitful.” (3:14)

Although I know that it is not my good deeds that grant my entrance into heaven or cloth me with the righteousness of Jesus Christ, I cannot help but be convicted by the constant admonishment of Scripture to be involved in good works. Jesus Himself said that we would be known by our fruits (Matthew 7:16, 20).

Pressing needs: like children eating rocks before going to bed in order to trick their stomachs into thinking they are full. Or mothers paying for their children to eat biscuits made from dirt. Or children and women being sold into slavery to satisfy the sinful nature. Or American children running away from home seeking refuge in a homeless shelter because their parents simply don’t care.

Believers, what are we doing about this? I don’t have all the answers, but I know that we have to do something. We must be active in meeting the pressing needs that surround us; it is not the job of the government or of the state. So, what do you think? Are we ready for good deeds? What good deeds can we be engaged in to show the world how deep and great and high the love of Jesus is?

“’I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bear more fruit.’” (John 15:1-2)

No comments:

Post a Comment