Sunday, August 7, 2011

Let Us Run

I have a love/hate relationship with working out of any nature. This is problematic at work, as I do not have a vehicle to tot my three little kids that I nanny around to parks and the like. However, we do have a bike with a cart behind that I frequently (yes, at least once a day) squeeze all three kids into for a trip to one of the many nearby parks. I love taking them to the park, and feel great after such long bike rides, but every time we go I say to myself, "This is the last time we're going to the park." I had no idea how hilly Maple Grove, MN was until I started lugging around 100+ lbs of weight behind me on a bike! There's one park we go to that's just over half an hour away, and it has the steepest hill on it, which I dread each time. And there always seems to be something to obstruct my path-- such as construction signs down or sidewalks blocked off halfway through the block. It's during these times that I often think of 1 Corinthians 9:

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified." --(24-27)

The Christian walk is compared to a race here, in which there is discipline and hard work involved. It's not always going to be easy, such as the roadblocks I often find in my path while biking. And sometimes it might hurt, especially while going uphill and you feel as though you'd like to quit.

Do you ever feel that way? We're guaranteed hardships and trials in our life, but we're called to press on (Philippians 3). And do you know the wonderful thing in all of this? God gives us such as sweet, sweet promise:

"But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint." --Isaiah 40:31 (emphasis mine).

Friends, God will give you strength. He will give you His strength, which will not fail. So no matter what you're going through right now, no matter how steep the hill is or how many roadblocks you find in your path, rest in the promise that God will give you His strength to press on. And our wreath is imperishable, our prize is HEAVEN!

Just keep running.

1 comment: