Sunday, July 17, 2011

Treasures

I've just recently declared war on my bedroom. My goal for the summer is to completely strip my room of everything but what I want to take with me as I look to moving out for good. Not an easy task, let me tell you. This evening as I listened to Needtobreathe blasting from my speakers and sifted through my closet, I found old notebooks filled with my name in front of my old crushes last name, vocabulary words, and algebra equations. I found old clothes that haven't fit me in five years and pictures from elementary school that filled my mind with memories of the "good 'ol days". But I also found trophies and medals from basketball, softball, and piano. I found my high school letter that I was so proud to fill up with different awards. And suddenly, I found that all of these were meaningless.

At the time, these awards seemed to be all that mattered. I would long to return home from a basketball tournament with a trophy in hand, or to score a perfect 5 at my piano festival. As I went through all of these this evening, they brought back good memories, but they didn't end up in the "to keep" box. They ended up in the garbage.

As I tossed these awards away, I couldn't help but think of Matthew 6:19-21
"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also"

What are you placing your treasures in? Remember, not everything is going to end up in the "to keep" box. Money, clothes, friends, cars, or whatever else may try to steal your attention cannot travel with us to eternity. But a relationship with the Lord Most High will!

1 comment: