Thursday, July 14, 2011

Coming Home

The crazy thing about living as a disciple of Christ is coming home. At the end of the day, no matter how messy I've made my life, Jesus is always watching and waiting to see if I'll be coming home. Many people know the story of the prodigal son. That story strikes me in so many ways. I often see myself as both of the sons in the story, but more often the "prodigal" one. After all these years I finally looked up in the dictionary the word "prodigal." Now, the word prodigal tends to be used in terms of spending money, using up material goods in an outrageous fashion, and wasting the riches that are freely given to someone.

I haven't had the opportunity to take the family fortune and squander it on wine, women, and water parks (Praise God!) but I have been the prodigal son countless times before. The most priceless riches given to any one human being would be God's grace given to me - a dirty rotten sinner. What do I do with this wealth of patience, second chances, and undeserved delight?

I waste it.


My days are filled with my own selfish thoughts, thinking about what will bring me the most benefit, and trying to fulfill my momentary desires for self gratification. At the end of the day, all I can do is crawl home to Dad. He's waiting for me with a new pearl snap shirt, a clean hat, and a large pizza from Mooses Saloon about to throw a party because His crazy kid came home.

No comments:

Post a Comment