Tuesday, June 14, 2011

What Can I Say? (click me for a beautiful song:))

Music is such an integral part of most of our lives isn't it? Whether it is driving in the car, working out in the gym, talking with friends, doing homework, or as a tool for praise we find music in the midst of all of our lives. It also covers the backgrounds of movies, t.v. shows and commercials. It has been the means of some of the greatest communications of all time. It has the ability to mourn with you, rejoice in your happiness, and create emotions within you that you might not have thought were there. Music is powerful, no doubt about it. So, what can I say? Music moves me and I have enjoyed elements of most of the genres out there over the course of my lifetime, but the main staple, the delight of my musical life has slowly, but surely, become praise music. This has not always been so.

For the most part growing up during my teenage years and early twenties music was just something that was there. I enjoyed listening to it but didn't really have a passion or anything for it. I'm not musically inclined, though I did play in the handbell choir at the Christian school I went to. I always had to play the smallest and highest ringing of the bells. I'm not quite sure to this day if it was because it was the easiest parts to play or if it was because I was so small and I couldn't handle the bigger bells. Either way, it was not the most manly thing to do, but looking back on pictures of that I am able to enjoy the memories. So, back to the music thing. Over the years some of the more popular genres in my life have been Christian rock, country, and a little bit of the reggae flavor, but I also love sappy love songs and culture songs that aren't too dirty and I can sing along too. Women's voices have always been a main staple in my flavor as well. I'm not quite sure why, but I do enjoy them a lot. Ok. From there I've gone through the ups and downs of should I listen to secular music or should I not listen to secular music. At different points of my life I haven't but I think I've come to the place in my life where I am satisfied, and I believe God is too, with the music I come into contact with. Praise though has become the delight and joy of my life. I can sit and listen for hours basking in the presence of God, and that's why I love it so much. Promise has been given to us that God inhabits the praises of his people (Psalm 22:3); so through all of the journey of my musical background it simply comes down to this. I enjoy what I enjoy because I enjoy spending time with God. That's all that I can say.

Some of my favorite artist to listen to right now are: Laura Story, Misty Edwards, Jesus Culture, Gungor, Mat Kearney, and Shawn McDonald

No comments:

Post a Comment