Sunday, June 12, 2011

Bread Would be Nice

One of my favorite songs is "Blessed Be Your Name". I love how simple and straightforward this song is. Take a look at the lyrics:

"Blessed by Your name
In the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed by Your name

Blessed by Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed by Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed by the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's "all as it should be"
Blessed be your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

You give and take away
My heart will chose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name"

Is that what your heart says? When life is good, it's easy to say "blessed be your name". But what about when it's hard, when you go through the pains of life? Do you still say that? I know I don't.

I heard John Piper speak a few weeks ago and he spoke on the Lord's Prayer. Have you ever considered all of the requests that are made in this prayer? And the very first is "hallowed be Thy name". But how often do we only pray for our bread--our needs? To quote Piper on this, "What do you pray for? It should be "hallowed by Your name"...and bread would be nice."

Our life is to praise God, with everything that we have. That means in the midst of all the troubles that we face too. God will provide for all your needs, but not always in the way that you think, nor in the timing that you expect. During those times that everything feels dry, we're still called to praise God.

I pray that in whatever situation you're in right now, you would be able to say "blessed be Your name".

No comments:

Post a Comment