Monday, June 27, 2011

Resting in the Love of God

You can count the number of days I have left as an employee of Beulah Lumber on three fingers. Although I am forever grateful to the Lord for providing me with a job in Beulah for the last year and a half, I can't say that the lumberyard ever had my passion. In fact, I'll admit that since my first weeks at Beulah Lumber in October of 2009, I was praying for the Lord to provide me with a different job. Something in a less discouraging environment. Something where I would feel as though I was truly serving others. Something in an arena where I had even some knowledge.

But for many months, there seemed to be silence from heaven in this regard. Possibilities arose, but they either did not turn out favorably, or I felt unsettled about the position. So, despite my desire to leave the lumberyard, I stayed. Waiting upon the Lord to provide another opportunity. And praise Him, He did! In May, I started working for Easter Seals Goodwill; working with a family in a neighboring town whose little girl has a disability.

Waiting for the answer to prayer can be difficult, can't it? In a society that is used to instant things, waiting is painful. At one time, we marveled at the wonder of a computer and the ability to surf the internet - now, we get frustrated at having to wait 20 seconds for a webpage to load. Meals come frozen, prepackaged, or microwaveable so that we don't have to feel hungry for longer than possible. Unfortunately, we've taken this mentality to our relationship with the Lord. We pray and expect immediate, instantaneous results.

But the Lord doesn't always work that way. Actually, often times, the Lord doesn't work that way. His ways are higher than our ways; His thoughts are higher than our thoughts (Isaiah 55:8). Honestly, I have no idea why the Lord placed me at Beulah Lumber. But I suppose I don't have to . . . He's God, I am not. I'll let my words be few before Him (Ecclesiastes 5:2). During the last year and a half, I had to cling to the words of Psalm 37:5 - and practice them, which is where faith really gets tough -
"Rest in the LORD and wait patiently for Him . . . "
If you feel that the Lord is not answering your prayers, or like He's taking too long to get back to you - just remember that He is indeed listening. He knows your thoughts before you even form them (Psalm 139:4) and calls you to find rest and comfort in Himself (Matthew 11:28-30). Go there, my friend. Rest in The Love of God.


2 comments:

  1. Sarah...I love this. You are so transparent and honest. You may not ever know why God placed you at Beulah Lumber, but God does! way to go my friend for being obedient and faithful! Keep up the good writing! it is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete